- After deciding to get a piece commissioned, make sure that you like a particular style I've used
- Have a budget in mind and allow that a one-of tailored, specialized piece will be significantly higher than a painting that belongs to a body of work that was all completed in the same time frame (not to mention trips to art supply stores, research, meetings with you, etc.)
- Compile a list of questions that you would like to ask
- If the piece will be for a certain area of your home, provide the artist with an idea of the style and take photos so I can understand how this piece with fits with your aesthetic.
- Consider why you want the piece:
- are you in your silver years and want an original piece to be handed down?
- Do you want an autobiographical piece that showcases artistically who you are and where you've come from?
- Do you want a gift for the person you love who has everything already?
- Maybe you've commissioned several pieces already and want to add to your collection
- Decide on a painting or a 3-dimensional object
- Decide if you want Karen to have carte blanche and surprise you or do you want to establish a loose set of criteria that outlines expectations:
- time frame of when to pick up the finished product or have it shipped
- preferences of media (acrylic only or mixed media, etc.), colour range or subject matter
Decide if you would like the option of having a Stat-to-Finish video made of your piece and /or the story of my process in written form (additional cost applies)
Contact me for an Artist Consultation and we will work out the details.
I draft up a contract (time-frames, price, with applicable expenses associated with creating the piece, and payment terms which is 40% non-refundable down payment via e-transfer or credit card, approval process, artist maintains the rights of the usage of the piece, etc.)
Artist Rights-this means that the buyer isn't allowed to copy the artwork onto products, make prints, etc. in order to make a profit. It means that the artist will always have the digital copy which can be used for promotional purposes and prints.
- You make the down payment
- You pick up or receive your creation in the mail
- You enjoy your new piece as part of your permanent collection.